Running the race of life: A Week in the Life of a Franciscan Deacon

Running the race of life

Sunday, June 04, 2006

A Week in the Life of a Franciscan Deacon

I've just completed my first week as a deacon. Wow, I could write so much but I'll just share a bit.

I believe the Lord blessed me deeply in the days leading up to Ordination. A vacation with good friends and a few days of retreat with my spiritual director were wonderful gifts in preparing to offer myself as fully as possible to the Lord.

Ordination day was graced and I simply tried to offer myself to the Lord. I truly sensed the gift of the Holy Spirit as the Bishop laid hands on my head. Perhaps the most moving part was witnessing the brother priests in attendance laying hands upon my friar brother who was ordained a priest.

The week was spent learning my new liturgical role and included making some funny mishaps- my microphone falling off my belt-clip as I reached for the Book of the Gospels! A second deacon came to my rescue!

This weekend I was honored to serve the Lord as a deacon at all of the Pentecost Masses at Holy Rosary Parish in Steubenville. Since I'll be working there this summer, they wanted me to be at all the Masses. It was spiritually energizing and also exhausting.

Thanks again for all the prayers. I ask for your continued prayers to simply keep my eyes on the Lord because thats what its all about!

8 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Blogger DilexitPrior said...

I ask for your continued prayers to simply keep my eyes on the Lord because thats what its all about!

Ask and ye shall receive. :-)

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Jennifer Smail said...

Jonathan,
I pray for you daily. I just started a blog too. www.Jenniferrosesmail.blogger.? Keep praying for me, you are an inspiration.
~Jen

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Paula said...

Jonathan, we will pray for you. I am glad to read your posts on the deacon life.Keep them coming.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Autrice DelDrago said...

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing you at mass this summer... or perhaps I already have, and didn't know it. Ah, life... it always seems to fly by, and during the summer I hardly pay attention. Anyway, hope you're at Holy Rosary on Sunday.

It's been over a month since a new entry came in, and I'm guessing you've been swamped with projects as well. God bless you each day, and keep you in His mercy and grace.

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger AnnieElf said...

I just found your link through Autrice, Jonathan. Talk about your small worlds. My son, Quanah Jeffries, just graduated from Franciscan University with his master theology this past May. I sent him your link. He says you two never actually met but he knows who you are. Autrice and I met online sometime in June after my one and only visit to Steubenville for Q's graduation. Wishing you many blessings now and in your future. Annie

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger jimamdg said...

Pax Christi!

Just curious, what made you chose the T.O.R. over other religious congregations?

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

You haven't posted in a while so I hope that everything is ok and you've just been occupied with doing God's work.
Blessings,
Lisa
http://fromwhereiwrite.blogspot.com

 
At 4:12 AM, Blogger Free Catholic said...

Hello,

I just want to point out sites with free catholic books written by the saints

http://www.saintsbooks.net/
http://catholic-books.blogspot.com/
http://www.storyofasoul.com/

I hope they are helpful

 

Post a Comment

<< Home