Running the race of life: International Prayer for Peace

Running the race of life

Friday, April 28, 2006

International Prayer for Peace


I had the opportunity to attend the International Prayer for Peace sponsored by the Community of Sant' Egidio yesterday at Georgetown University. It was a very good experience.

I attended panel sessions on Pluralism and Faith; Media: War, Peace and Religion; and Solving the crisis of HIV/AIDS. As I listened to the panelists, my heart felt heavier and heavier in considering the brokenness, injustice and suffering in the world.

As we came together to pray at the end of the day (the Christians assembled in the local Catholic Church and other faiths to other areas), I was lightened by the hope of the Gospel. At first I was annoyed because we kept singing the Gospel acclamation, "Alleluia" after every reading and meditation. Then I realized, thats what its all about. The Risen Christ is the hope that trumps every darkness!

There was a moving closing ceremony where religious leaders from different faiths signed a common declaration for peace. I know peace has to go beyond signatures on a paper but just being together you could sense the movement of the Holy Spirit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home